This apple and lemon sandwich cake is the ultimate cream sponge cake – the apple makes the cake really moist and the lemon-flavoured cream keeps it fresh-tasting. Delicious!
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 25-30 minutes, plus cooling
FOR THE SPONGE
225g (8oz) baking spread, straight from the fridge, plus extra for greasing
225g (8oz) caster sugar
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs, beaten
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and grated (see note)
icing sugar, for dusting
FOR THE LEMON FILLING
150ml (5fl oz) double cream
3 tbsp lemon curd
1. You will need two 20cm (8in) round, loose-bottomed sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4, then grease each tin and line the base with a disc of baking paper.
2. Measure all the sponge ingredients except the apple and icing sugar into a large bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until combined. Fold the grated apple into the mixture, then divide between the tins and level the tops.
3. Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden, well risen and coming away from the sides of the tins. Allow to cool in the tins.
4. Meanwhile, make the filling. Whip the cream into soft peaks, then lightly swirl in the lemon curd. Invert the tins to remove the cakes and then peel away the paper. Sit one cake upside down on a serving plate. Spread the lemon cream to the edge of the sponge, place the other cake gently on top to sandwich the cakes together.
5. Dust the top with icing sugar to serve.
For a speedy way to grate the apple, first core the apple and cut into pieces but keep the skin on. Grate the flesh and then discard the skin.
Once assembled, keep the cake in the fridge for up to 1 day but serve at room temperature.
The cooked sponges freeze well.
SAVE 20 PER CENT ON MARY’S NEW BOOK
Mary Berry Quick Cooking will be published by BBC Books on 21 February, price £22. As well as Mary’s introduction, the book contains more than 100 all-new recipes, plus her crucial tips for each one. Chapters include: Light Bites and Tapas; Speedy Soups; Salads and Grains; Fish; Poultry and Game; Pork, Lamb and Beef; Rice, Noodles and Pasta; Quick Veg; Puddings, and Baking. To order a copy for £17.60 until 3 March, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.