Always use a nonstick frying pan when cooking an omelette and cook it on quite a high heat (and ideally use a rubber spatula if you have one). The process is very fast – it should only take a matter of moments.
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
Calories per portion 420
1 tbsp olive oil
4 slices smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
1 medium courgette (about 200g), trimmed and thinly sliced
4 medium free-range eggs
10g fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
80g feta, crumbled
salt and pepper
1. Put the olive oil and bacon in a nonstick frying pan and sauté over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until it’s crisp. Add the courgette and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened.
2. Remove the bacon and courgette from the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving as much of the cooking oil behind as you can. Place them on top of some kitchen roll to drain away the excess fat.
3. Make the omelettes one at a time. Crack 2 eggs into a small bowl and beat so that yolk and white are thoroughly combined. Add half the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
4. Using the same nonstick pan, place over a high heat and, when really hot, pour in the egg mixture. Swirl the eggs around the pan so they coat the surface. Using a rubber spatula, drag the edges of the omelette into the centre, then swirl the pan once more so that the uncooked egg flows into the empty space. Allow to cook for about 30 seconds or so and repeat this process of dragging the egg into the centre one more time. Scatter half the feta over the omelette with half the bacon and courgette mixture. Flip one half of the omelette over the other and leave to cook for another minute, then transfer to a plate. Repeat this process to make the second omelette.
5. Serve the omelette with the fresh peppery rocket alongside.
We strongly advise consulting your doctor before embarking on any diet plan. You should also discuss your medication if necessary. The Life Without Diabetes eating plan is not suitable if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or underweight.
Buy the book with 20 per cent off
Life Without Diabetes by Professor Roy Taylor is published by Short Books, price £9.99. To order a copy for £7.99, with free p&p, until 25 January, call 01603 648155 or go to mailshop.co.uk.
© Roy Taylor 2020. Recipes created by: participants on the diabetes reversal trial, Kathryn Bruton, Alison Barnes. Food styling: Clare Lewis. Styling: Sue Radcliffe.