If you want to give this garlicky greens with mushrooms dish extra aromatic flavour, try adding the crushed seeds of four cardamom pods before steaming.
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Makes 2 servings
250g kale (or any other greens)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red onion, sliced
200g mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1. Steam the kale in a pan with a little boiling water for about 5 minutes or until it is tender.
2. Drain the kale in a colander.
3. Dry off the pan, add the oil and heat on medium.
4. Add the crushed garlic and sliced onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms and chilli flakes. Cook for another 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
6. Return the kale to the pan, mix everything together and cook until it’s heated through.
We strongly advise consulting your doctor before embarking on any diet plan. You should also discuss your medication if necessary. The Life Without Diabetes eating plan is not suitable if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or underweight.
Buy the book with 20 per cent off
Life Without Diabetes by Professor Roy Taylor is published by Short Books, price £9.99. To order a copy for £7.99, with free p&p, until 25 January, call 01603 648155 or go to mailshop.co.uk.
© Roy Taylor 2020. Recipes created by: participants on the diabetes reversal trial, Kathryn Bruton, Alison Barnes. Food styling: Clare Lewis. Styling: Sue Radcliffe.