After 2020 was a bit of a non-starter for the world of beauty, 2021 saw it come back with a bang. When stores reopened in April, John Lewis saw a huge uptick in beauty sales and treatments: blusher sales rose 181 per cent, eyeshadows were up 145 per cent, lipstick sales rose by 178 per cent, lip liners enjoyed an incredible 386 per cent hike and 3,000 in-store brow treatments were booked.
Mascara sales were also up 113 per cent, with Charlotte Tilbury’s Pillow Talk Push Up Lashes Mascara proving to be the bestselling product across all departments, including fashion, beauty and home. Now that’s one powerful mascara. We already knew the mascara was a popular buy – even before it launched it attracted a waitlist of 45,000 people desperate to get their hands on it – but this confirms that it has lived up to its hype, proving to be one of the best mascara choices out there.
Of course, that’s not the only thing that flew out of John Lewis’ beauty halls this year. After Charlotte Tilbury’s mascara, the second bestselling beauty product of 2021 was Olaplex’s No.3 Hair Perfector treatment. A revolutionary at-home hair treatment that produces salon-worthy results, this global bestseller of a product visibly strengthens hair, reducing breakage and improving its look and feel.
The third bestselling beauty product was the Beauty Chef Collagen Inner Beauty Boost, a vegan drink concentrate containing bio-fermented papaya fruit, grapeseed, pomegranate fruit peel extracts and gut-friendly bacteria which is said to boost collagen production and nourish the gut.
But perhaps most surprisingly is that The Boost’s £395 LED Face Mask made it into the top 15 bestselling beauty products of 2021. Despite it’s hefty price tag, an at-home LED treatment is clearly highly sought after – and when you consider the price of regular in-salon LED treatments, the £395 price tag starts to look a bit more appealing.
Here is the full list of John Lewis’ beauty bestsellers of 2021…
John Lewis beauty bestsellers of 2021
- Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Push Up Lashes Mascara, £23
- Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector treatment, £26
- Beauty Chef Collagen Inner Boost, from £16
- Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP, £215
- Aveda Chakra 4 Balancing Mist, £30
- Aesop Resurrection Aromatique hand wash, £27
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray Ultra Glow, £26
- Benefit Gimme Brow+ Volumising Brow Gel, £22.50
- Diptyque Do Son Hair Mist, £44
- Votary Blemish Rescue Oil, £35
- Givenchy L’Interdit EDP Rouge, from £53
- Hourglass’ Curator Eyeshadow Pan Palette, £10 (with pigments Air and Fox the most popular choices to fill it with)
- John Lewis Scent Series Discovery Box
- The Boost LED Face Mask, £395
- Maison Margiela Replica Miniature Fragrance Gift Set