A second helping of the quick-cook, delicious and healthy meals that the Body Coach serves up for his own young family to enjoy.
SERVES 2 ADULTS + 2 SMALL KIDS
PREPARE: 15 MINUTES
COOK: 15-20 MINUTES
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of sugar
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil
Mango chutney and natural yoghurt, to serve
FOR THE FRITTER BATTER
150g gram flour or plain flour
200g natural yoghurt
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
3 tsp curry powder
2 x 250g pouches of good quality cooked puy lentils
30g coriander, leaves roughly chopped and stems finely chopped
8 spring onions, finely chopped a splash of milk – optional
FOR THE CRUNCHY RADISH SALAD
1⁄2 tsp cumin seeds
200g radishes, quartered
1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
5g mint leaves, roughly chopped
- First, make the batter. Whisk the flour, yoghurt, eggs, salt and curry powder in a mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in the lentils, chopped coriander stems and spring onions. Loosen the mixture a little if necessary with a splash of milk – it should have a dropping consistency: a small amount of the mixture should fall from the spoon if gently shaken.
- Whisk the vegetable oil with the lime juice and sugar then season with salt and pepper. Keep to one side.
- To make the salad, lightly toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then bash them a little in a mortar and pestle to help release their flavour.
- Mix the radishes, red onion, tomatoes, cumin seeds, coriander leaves and mint leaves together in a bowl. Toss over the oil and lime juice mixture and keep to one side.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the lentil fritters in batches, spooning in heaped tablespoons of the batter and cooking for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown and all the batter is used.
- Serve the fritters with the radish salad and some mango chutney and natural yoghurt (swirled together if you like) on the side.
Love the recipes? Now buy the book
Our recipes are from Joe’s Family Food by Joe Wicks, which will be published by Bluebird on 10 June, price £20. To pre-order a copy for £17 until 14 June go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £20.