These courgette lollipops with mustard-lemon dressing are a quick and simple Body Coach BBQ recipe that everyone will love.
2 large courgettes (see Joe’s Top Tip)
salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
juice of ½ lemon
pinch of sugar
4 tbsp toasted mixed seeds
½ tsp chilli flakes
1. Fire up the barbecue. You will need 8-10 small skewers. If using wooden rather than metal skewers, soak in water while the barbecue is heating up to stop them from burning.
2. Meanwhile, slice each courgette in half lengthways then cut in half widthways so that you have eight courgette ‘lollipops’.
3. Stick a skewer into the end of each courgette piece then sprinkle over a little salt and drizzle the lollipops with the olive oil.
4. Place the skewers on the barbecue and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, turning regularly until the courgettes have strong ‘bar’ marks on all sides and are just cooked.
5. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, sugar and 1 tablespoon of water in a shallow bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Tip the toasted seeds and chilli flakes on to a plate.
6. One by one, as each courgette slice is cooked, take it off the barbecue and dunk it into the dijon dressing, then straight into the toasted chilli seeds. Serve.
JOE’S TOP TIP You want the courgette to be roughly 10cm (4in) in length, so if your courgettes are very large, you might need to halve them again. Likewise if they are small, halving them might be enough.
For more new Body Coach recipes
This dish features in Joe’s Veggie BBQ ebook (ten brand-new Lean in 15 recipes; available for free download on Kindle and Apple Books) and Veggie Lean in 15 (£16.99, Bluebird). To order a copy for £13.59 (a 20% discount) until 30 June call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.