To make this recipe veggie, you can swap the chipolatas for 3 ready-cooked beetroot, cut into wedges and fried in a little olive oil for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
150g trimmed brussels sprouts, cut in half
1⁄2 red onion, sliced
drizzle of oil
6-7 pork chipolatas (200g) knob of butter
salt and pepper
200g pre-cooked puy lentils
1 fat clove garlic
a few sprigs of thyme
1-2 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Put the brussels sprouts and red onion into a microwaveable bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Cover and zap on high for 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Drizzle in a little olive oil, add the chipolatas. Cook for about 7 minutes, turning regularly with tongs. Once cooked, turn down the heat to low and keep warm.
3. Melt most of the butter in a second nonstick frying pan over a medium to high heat. When bubbling, carefully uncover the microwaved sprouts and onion and tip into the pan. Season with a little salt and pepper, fry for 5 minutes until all the water has evaporated and the sprouts are starting to crisp.
4. Dump the lentils in the sprout pan. Crush in the garlic clove, strip the leaves off the thyme sprig. Add the final bit of butter and crank up the heat. Mix everything together, cook for 1-2 minutes until the lentils are warmed through, then stir in the mustard and balsamic vinegar.
5. Once the balsamic has bubbled off, season the lentils to taste then spoon into a bowl and pile the cooked chipolatas on top.
Buy Joe’s new book with more than £5 off
30 Day Kick Start Plan by Joe Wicks is published by Pan Macmillan, price £18.99. To order a copy for £13.29 until 6 December go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free UK delivery on orders over £15.