A second helping of the quick-cook, delicious and healthy meals that the Body Coach serves up for his own young family to enjoy.
PREPARE: 20 MINUTES
COOK: 40-50 MINUTES
FREEZE THE COOKED AUBERGINE AND SPICED LAMB MIX
4 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
4 fat cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
2 tsp ground allspice
1 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1kg minced lamb
4 tbsp tomato purée
3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
FOR THE ONION + PARSLEY SALAD
2 red onions, very thinly sliced
Large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
Juice of 2 lemons
The seeds from 1 pomegranate
300g feta, crumbled
- If you have a gas hob, blacken the aubergines directly over the flame, moving them around with a pair of tongs until they are blackened on all sides and completely soft (this can take up to 20 minutes). Alternatively, place them under a hot grill set to its highest setting and grill for about 20 minutes until blackened on all sides – although you won’t get quite the same smoky flavour.
- Leave the aubergines until they are cool enough to handle, then peel away and discard the blackened skin. Roughly chop the aubergines and keep to one side for later.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and fry for 5-6 minutes until soft and tinged golden. Stir in the crushed garlic and cook for a further 1 minute, then stir in the spices and chopped aubergines and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring to coat the aubergine in the spices.
- Add the lamb to the saucepan and cook for 10-15 minutes until it is completely browned, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, then stir in the tomato purée and pomegranate molasses. Season to taste and cook for about 5 minutes.
- To make the salad, mix the sliced red onion in a bowl with the parsley leaves and lemon juice and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Warm the flatbreads and serve them with the lamb mince, onion salad, pomegranate seeds and crumbled feta.
Love the recipes? Now buy the book
Our recipes are from Joe’s Family Food by Joe Wicks, which will be published by Bluebird on 10 June, price £20. To pre-order a copy for £17 until 14 June go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £20.