This lemon and raspberry loaf cake is ideal for anyone who can’t have dairy and it’s totally vegan friendly. You can even go gluten-free (see below). Move over lemon drizzle!
TIME TAKEN: 50 MINUTES
275g self-raising flour
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
around 75ml soya milk
100ml sunflower or rapeseed oil, plus extra for oiling
FOR THE TOPPING
50g fresh or frozen raspberries
100g icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp freeze-dried raspberry pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6. Brush a 450g loaf tin with a little oil and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Mix together the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and lemon zest.
3. Put the lemon juice in a jug then top up with milk to 175ml. Pour into the dry ingredients along with the oil.
4. Mix to a smooth batter and pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is light golden, firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
5. Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the tin before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
6. To make the icing, blend the raspberries to a purée then sieve to remove the seeds. Pour the raspberry purée into the icing sugar in stages, mixing well after each addition until you reach a thick pouring consistency.
7. Slowly spoon the icing on top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides, and scatter with freezedried raspberries to finish.
Gluten-free Swap the flour to a gluten-free self-raising flour.
Flavour swap Use blackberries instead of raspberries for a lemon and blackberry loaf. Switch the lemon zest and juice for orange then make the icing using pomegranate juice and a splash of rosewater for an orange, pomegranate and rose loaf. Scatter with fresh pomegranate seeds to decorate.
Now buy the book with £6 off
Our recipes are from The Flexible Family Cookbook by Jo Pratt, which is published by Frances Lincoln, price £20. To order a copy for £14 until 13 September go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUFLEX at the checkout. Book number: 9780711251687. For terms and conditions, see whsmith.co.uk/terms.