Cashews make a brilliant dairy-free alternative to whipped cream. Because they’re mild in flavour they are also an ideal base to add fruit purées to, letting the fruit do all the talking.
TIME TAKEN: 30 MINUTES PLUS 2 HOURS SOAKING AND 1 HOUR CHILLING
125g cashew nuts
2 large ripe mangoes, peeled and stoned
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
2 ripe passion fruit
caster sugar or agave syrup to taste, depending on the natural sweetness of the fruit (you may not need any at all)
1. Soak the cashew nuts in cold water for at least 2 hours, but overnight is fine.
2. Put the mango flesh in a blender or food processor along with the lime zest, juice and passion fruit pulp. If you prefer to remove the seeds, press the passion fruit pulp through a sieve first. Blitz to a purée. Taste and if the purée seems too sharp, add a little sugar or agave to sweeten. It’s likely you won’t need to if the mangoes are naturally sweet enough. Remove half the fruit purée and set to one side.
3. Drain the soaked cashew nuts and add to the fruit purée in the blender. Blitz really well, until you have a smooth, thick creamy consistency. Continue to blitz if it still seems a bit grainy.
4. Spoon the fruity cashew cream into glasses or dishes and spoon the remaining fruit purée on top, stirring gently to create a swirly, ripple effect. Put in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
5. Serve the fruit pots with additional passion fruit pulp and grated lime zest on top.
Nut-free Swap the cashew nuts for a thick coconut yogurt (or greek yogurt if dairy is suitable). Stir through half the fruit purée (rather than blending it) then spoon into glasses or dishes served with the remaining purée swirled on top.
Flavour swap There are lots of fruit combinations you can try using soft fruits or fruit purées: 200g raspberries; 1 banana and grated zest of 1 orange; 250g cooked rhubarb purée and diced stem ginger, or 250g blackberries and the grated zest of 1 lemon.
Now buy the book with £6 off
Our recipes are from The Flexible Family Cookbook by Jo Pratt, which is published by Frances Lincoln, price £20. To order a copy for £14 until 13 September go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUFLEX at the checkout. Book number: 9780711251687. For terms and conditions, see whsmith.co.uk/terms.