Yesterday marked National Cheese Day, and to celebrate the occasion celebrity chef Jamie Oliver decided to share his recipe for creating the ultimate cheese toastie.
There are myriad ways to elevate the humble grilled cheese from a quick bog-standard snack to gastronomic levels (even Jamie was impressed with the gourmet versions created by the MasterChef Australia contestants on Thursday night).
But Jamie’s version, while it may seem longwinded at first is actually very simple and guarantees a toastie that’s ‘crispy, gooey, fluffy, golden perfection’. We trust in the chef that his version is the key to ultimate cheesy success – it even has an actual crown of cheese.
Jamie Oliver’s cheese toastie recipe
MAKES 1 SANDWICH
Two slices of white bread
Red Leicester cheese
Condiments of your choice (Jamie uses brown sauce, ketchup and mango chutney)
- Spread a thin layer of butter on both sides of each slice of bread.
- Grate a generous amount of both cheeses.
- Pile a handful of cheese onto one slice of your buttered bread and place the other slice on top, giving it a good squeeze together.
- Put a frying pan on a low to medium heat and place your toastie in the pan (Jamie says this is the perfect temperature for getting the outsides golden and the middle ‘oozy’).
- Place weights on top of the bread (a couple full condiment bottles will do) and cook for about three minutes or until golden, before flipping, weighing down and leaving for another three minutes on the other side.
- Take the sandwich out of the pan and, keeping it on the heat, grate a layer of cheese straight into the frying pan, covering the whole of the bottom.
- Take your sandwich and place it back in the pan on top of the bubbling cheese.
- Cook for about a minute and a half, adding a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper to the bubbling cheese during this time.
- Take a metal spatula and push the cheese towards the sandwich, then get underneath it and slowly raise it out of the pan, holding it for 30 seconds to let the cheese set – this creates your cheese crown.
- Sprinkle a bit more cheese into the pan, just in the middle this time, and place your toastie on top of it (crown facing up).
- Once cooked, leave it for 2 minutes before eating ‘because inside that toastie, the cheese is a billion degrees celsius,’ Jamie warns.
- Serve with brown sauce, ketchup and mango chutney.
- Slice toastie in half and enjoy!