A classic recipe for the simplest jam tart with a cake-like crumb. It is usually made with either homemade blackberry or apricot jam, or make it in a pinch with 250g of your favourite ready-made jam.
1 quantity sweet shortcrust pastry (see recipe here)
500g ripe apricots
200g granulated sugar
- For the jam, halve the apricots, discard the stones. Put the apricot halves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a low heat, stirring occasionally so the fruit doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- As the pan heats, the apricots will release their juices and the fruit will begin to simmer. Let the apricots simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the fruit is completely soft.
- Pass the mixture through a food mill or fine-mesh sieve placed over a bowl to remove the skins for a smooth fruit purée.
- Place the purée back in the saucepan over a low heat and add the sugar. Heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Turn the heat up to medium and let it bubble until the jam reaches the consistency desired. If you let this go quite a while you will get a harder-set jam, but just 10 minutes will give you a nice soft-set jam, which is just right for this tart.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 23cm pie dish. Divide the pastry dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Roll this larger piece out to about 3mm thick and press into the pie dish. Roll out the rest of the pastry and, with a pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut long strips about 2cm wide.
- Fill the pie base with the jam and crisscross lattice strips over the top. If you like, use the leftover egg white to brush over the top of the pastry for some shine.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the tart is golden brown.
Now buy the book
Our recipes are from Torta Della Nonna by food writer Emiko Davies (Hardie Grant, £16.99). Emiko has lived in Florence for more than a decade and the book is a collection of some of her beloved Italian desserts. To order a copy for £14.95 until 28 March, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £20.