The latest series of I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here has only been on TV a week, and already we’re hooked.
However, bad news emerged from the camp in Gwrych Castle today, as it was confirmed that one of the celebrity contestants has had the leave the show.
Veteran TV presenter Richard Madeley was taken to hospital overnight after suddenly falling ill. He has since confirmed he is ‘absolutely fine’, but sadly must still leave I’m a Celebrity as he is no longer in the show’s Covid-safe bubble.
The Welsh Ambulance Service said it was called to a “medical emergency” at the Welsh castle in Abergele, Conwy, at 05:43am
“We sent a paramedic in a rapid response car and an emergency ambulance to the scene, and one patient was taken to hospital,” they told the BBC.
Posting online after the incident, the 65-year-old explained: ‘I started to feel briefly unwell in the small hours of the morning and was taken to hospital as a precaution.’
‘By leaving the camp, I had consequently broken the Covid “bubble” and as such I’ve had to leave the castle and all the wonderful celebs that remain in the camp.’
Richard went on to say he is ‘gutted’ to be leaving the show so early, but added that ‘the safety of all the campmates is the number one priority’.
‘I’m incredibly excited to watch their journey continue…even more so at the prospect of being somewhere a little warmer than Gwrych Castle’ he said.
Richard will be appearing on Friday’s show to speak to Ant and Dec, and has recorded a message for the other contestants so that they know he’s recovered.
There will be no stand-in replacements, although tonight’s episode will see Simon Gregson and Adam Woodyatt entering the castle as previously announced.