A warung is a kerb-side restaurant or food stall in Indonesia that usually has a long queue outside. On the menu? Simple, traditional street food, all cooked very fast with plenty of heat, spice and smoke. Making fried noodles like this at home is quick and easy, and you don’t even need to queue.
4 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp coconut palm sugar or dark brown sugar
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
2-3 heads of Asian greens (pak choi/bok choy or choi sum/choy sum)
2 spring onions
125g streaky bacon
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
225g cooked flat rice noodles
100g beansprouts, ready to eat
1 tbsp coriander leaves
Pinch of shichimi togarashi seasoning (optional)
- Put the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, ground coriander, ginger and garlic pastes into a bowl and whisk together until you have a smooth sauce.
- Slice the Asian greens into 5cm pieces and roughly chop the spring onions.
- Place a wok over a high heat until smoking hot, meanwhile cutting the bacon into 2.5cm strips. Add a little oil to the hot wok, then reduce the heat to medium-high and add the bacon. Cook for 1 minute, then add the 2 tablespoons oil to the wok. Once shimmering, crack in the eggs and cook for 30 seconds, breaking them up slightly with a spatula. Move to the side of the wok and add the noodles. Allow them to cook undisturbed for 30 seconds – they should start to char.
- Add the sauce to the wok, stir to combine with the eggs and noodles, and bring to the boil. Add the Asian greens, spring onions and beansprouts to the pan and toss to combine, then cook for 1-2 minutes, pressing everything into the sides of the pan to char and caramelise.
- Divide between two bowls and top with the coriander leaves and a pinch of togarashi (if using).
Now buy Gordon’s book
Ramsay in 10 by Gordon Ramsay will be published by Hodder & Stoughton on 14 October, priced £25. To preorder a copy for £21.25 until 17 October, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.