You can swap the chorizo for some crisped-up smoky bacon, or leave it out for a vegetarian breakfast. Add kale or spinach to the batter if you want to up the veg content.
200ml whole milk
220g plain flour
400g canned or frozen sweetcorn, drained or defrosted
40g rocket or baby spinach
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 spring onions
240g sliced chorizo
1⁄2 bunch of coriander, chopped
- Crack six of the eggs into a blender, add the milk, flour, polenta and half the sweetcorn and blitz until combined but still coarse.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and fold in the remaining sweetcorn and half the rocket or spinach.
- Place a large, nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of it.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the avocado and roughly chop the spring onions.
- When the oil is hot, place four separate spoonfuls of the corn mixture in the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, put the chorizo into a different frying pan and cook gently over a low-medium heat until the fat begins to render and the chorizo starts to crisp.
- Transfer the chorizo to a plate and keep warm. Return the oily pan to the heat until it is medium hot. Crack in the four remaining eggs and fry for 2-3 minutes, until the whites are firm but the yolks are still runny.
- When the fritters are cooked, drain them on kitchen paper before placing on plates. Put the eggs on top, then dress with the remaining rocket leaves, the avocado, spring onions and coriander before spooning the chorizo and chorizo oil over the top.
Now buy Gordon’s book
Ramsay in 10 by Gordon Ramsay will be published by Hodder & Stoughton on 14 October, priced £25. To preorder a copy for £21.25 until 17 October, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.