Looking for a filling meal with a lower calorie count? This fusillone with sausage and tomato sauce will hit the spot.
496 CALS PER SERVE
¼ tsp each dried fennel seeds, oregano, basil, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper
200g good quality low-fat sausagemeat (removed from casing if using sausages), see note
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
300g fusillone or fusilli pasta (or similar spirals)
3 tbsp chopped parsley
40g parmesan, grated
1. Toast all the herbs and seasonings in a small pan over a low heat then mix into the sausagemeat. Brown the sausagemeat in a nonstick, deep frying pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Drain off the fat and set the meat aside.
2. Add the oil to the pan with the onion and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and passata, return the sausagemeat to the pan, season and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add salt and cook the pasta for 8-9 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving some of the cooking water.
4. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir, adding a little of the pasta water if needed.
5. Serve in bowls sprinkled with the parsley, grated parmesan and chilli.
NOTE Using lower fat sausages helps keep the calories down. Try the Heck brand (heckfood.co.uk).
BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
Skinny Pasta by Julia Azzarello is published by Kyle Books, price £14.99. Chapters cover pantry basics, advice on cooking pasta, matching shapes with sauces and kitchen kit. Plus there are 80 flavour-packed recipes (all under 500 cals) for veggie, meat and fish mains; lunches, salads, soups and pasta staples. To order a copy for £11.99 until 24 March visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.