Brownies come in all shapes, styles and textures… much like humans. But I’d take a tin full of these over social interaction any day. This fudgy vegan brownie recipe is crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle. You can make them into squares as pictured or bake them in a mini muffin tin for brownie bites!
MAKES 9 LARGE BROWNIES
PREP 25 mins
COOKING TIME 35 mins
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
6 tablespoons water
130 g/4½ oz plain flour
35 g/1¼ oz cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
115 g/4 oz vegan butter
115 g/4 oz vegan chocolate chips
150 g/5½ oz granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50 g/1¾ oz cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line a 23 cm/9 inch square baking tin with parchment paper, allowing the paper to extend beyond opposite sides of the tin, for lifting out the finished brownies, or grease the pan with vegan butter.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed and water. Set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
3. Meanwhile, place the plain flour in a bowl. Sift the cocoa powder and salt into the flour and stir to combine well.
4. Melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Remove from the heat, add 60 g/2¼ oz of the vegan chocolate chips and stir until they are completely melted and smooth.
5. Add the sugar and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and stir or whisk to combine. Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients along with the flaxseed mixture, another 60 g/2¼ oz of the vegan chocolate chips and the walnuts. Fold together until combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared tin and spread it with a spatula in an even layer out to the edges of the baking tin.
6. Bake for 30 minutes until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Allow the brownies to cool in the tin on a wire rack before lifting out by the edges of baking paper or cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature and consume within 4 – 5 days.
Recipe from Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face by Lauren Toyota, £12.96, Penguin