There is an awful lot to consider when planning a wedding – from the big decisions like venues and dresses, to the finer details like place settings and favours.
Then, of course, there’s the first dance song. In the grand scheme of things it may not seem like the most important decision you have to make for your big day, but according to a survey by , the song you first twirl to may have more of an impact on your marriage than you think.
The online marketplace asked 5,544 people worldwide which song they chose for their first dance, as well as their current marital status. They then ranked the top 25 dance songs and their correlation to marriage success.
The survey found that ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love’ by Elvis Presley was the most popular first dance song, followed by two Elton John tracks: ’Your Song’ and ‘Can You Feel The Love Tonight’. The Disney themed continued further down the list, as after Ed Sheeran’s ‘Perfect’ at number four, the fifth most popular first dance song was ‘A Whole New World’ by Lea Salonga and Brad Kane.
Disney-themed first dances also seem to be the key to true love, with the tunes most likely to end in marital bliss as follows…
1. ’Can You Feel The Love Tonight’ by Elton John – 77 per cent remain together
2. ’Isn’t She Lovely’ by Stevie Wonder– 75 per cent remain together
3. ‘The Way You Look Tonight’ by Frank Sinatra – 74 per cent remain together
And as for the first dance songs that are most likely to end in divorce…
1. ‘Little Things’ by One Direction – 75 per cent split
2. ‘I’m Yours’ by Jason Mraz – 61 per cent split
3. ‘Chasing Cars’ by Snow Patrol – 56 per cent split
So the rule of thumb seems to be, stick to the old school classics over modern pop songs if you want a happy marriage!