A hugely popular brunch dish from the Middle East and North Africa made with eggs poached in a lightly spiced tomato sauce. This Fast 800 shakshuka is tasty and easy to make.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 yellow or red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 – 1 tsp hot smoked paprika (to taste)
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
4 medium eggs
small handful fresh coriander or flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick frying pan or shallow casserole that has a lid, add the onion and pepper and gently fry for 5-6 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly.
2. Add the garlic, cumin and paprika and cook for 20-30 seconds, stirring.
3. Tip the tomatoes into the pan, add the tomato purée, a good pinch of sea salt and lots of ground black pepper.
4. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the tomato sauce has thickened, stirring regularly.
5. Make four holes in the vegetable mixture and break an egg into each one. Cover the pan with the lid and cook very gently for 3-5 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks remain runny.
6. Sprinkle with the fresh herbs, if using, and season with more ground black pepper to serve.
COOK’S TIP If your frying pan doesn’t have a lid, use a large heatproof plate (take care when you remove it as it will be extremely hot) or use a large piece of kitchen foil. Covering the pan helps the eggs cook and prevents the tomato sauce from becoming too thick.
ON 5:2 NON-FAST DAYS Crumble feta over the top after adding the eggs and serve with warmed wholemeal pitta bread.
NUTRITION PER SERVING CALS 312, PROTEIN 19.5g, FAT 17g, FIBRE 5.5g, CARBS 17.5g
SAVE 20% ON THE BRILLIANT FAST 800 RECIPE BOOK
The Fast 800 Recipe Book by Dr Clare Bailey and Justine Pattison with foreword by Dr Michael Mosley will be published by Short Books on Thursday 13 June, price £14.99. To order a copy for £11.99 until 23 June, call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15. Visit thefast800.com for more information about the programme and advice on how to lose weight, stay healthy and live longer.