This is a quick way to make a layer cake. Instead of baking three layers individually, this recipe uses a loaf cake method. It is made with marzipan, which gives it a wonderful velvety texture and keeps it fresh for days. A great cake for Easter.
70g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
125g caster sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
100g white marzipan
3 large eggs
100ml double cream
A few drops of almond extract
160g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄4 tsp fine sea salt
150g rhubarb jam (find recipe here)
200g white chocolate
2 tbsp coconut oil
Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease a 1lb/450g loaf tin (approx 21cm x 10cm) and line with a strip of parchment that overhangs the long sides of the tin.
- Place the sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the sugar is moistened and fragrant. Add the marzipan and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the butter and pulse again until the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse a final time until a smooth cake batter is formed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf tin and spread over the base evenly. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer, inserted into the centre of the cake, comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes then take the cake out of the tin, transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the cake into three even layers. Spread half of the jam on the base layer of the cake then place the next cake layer on top and repeat, finishing with the top layer of the cake. Place the cake in the fridge for an hour to chill.
- For the glaze, melt together the chocolate and the coconut oil. Once melted, remove from the heat and allow to cool until just lukewarm but still pourable. Pour over the cake and allow the glaze to drip down the sides. Once the glaze is set, grate over the zest of the lemon.
- This cake will keep for up to three days in a sealed container.
Follow Edd of Instagram and TikTok @theboywhobakes.