A family favourite, this recipe originates from Nanna, my maternal grandmother. I’ve made some tweaks to veganize it, but you’d hardly guess, as it retains all the flavour and texture of the original.
160ml neutral-tasting oil, plus extra for greasing
340g plain flour
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
110g light brown sugar
340g golden syrup
210ml soya milk
2 vegan eggs (see recipe below)
Whipped coconut cream, to serve
FOR THE FENNEL-ROASTED PEACHES
600g peaches, pitted and sliced
3 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp fennel seeds
30g vegan butter
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease your 23 x 33cm baking tin and line with a strip of parchment paper that overhangs the long sides, securing it in place with metal clips.
- Place the flour, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk together. Put the oil, sugar, syrup and soya milk in a medium saucepan and warm over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and slowly pour in the vegan eggs, whisking constantly to prevent them from going lumpy. Add this liquid to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until the cake springs back to a light touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before using the parchment paper to lift the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas 6. Wash and dry the empty baking tin, then add all the peach ingredients and stir to combine. Bake for 10–12 minutes, or until the fruit has softened but not broken down.
- Serve slices of the cake with the peaches and a little whipped coconut cream. If stored in a sealed container, this cake keeps incredibly well, for at least 5 days.
How to make vegan eggs
Vegan eggs, which are actually gels, can be made from ground flaxseed or ground psyllium husks. I prefer to use psyllium husks which can be found in healthfood shops and online.
MAKES 1 VEGAN EGG (equivalent to 1 large chicken’s egg)
1 tbsp ground flaxseed or psyllium husk
3 tbsp water
- Put with the flaxseed or psyllium husk in a small bowl. Mix in the water and set aside until it has thickened to the slightly gloopy texture of a whisked egg.