Ideally, try to source wild smoked salmon as it will contain a better quality of salmon’s sleep-enhancing nutrients magnesium, vitamins B6 and D and tryptophan.
PREP 10 minutes
COOK 25 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 medium carrot, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
8 medium free-range eggs
1 small bunch fresh dill, chopped
200g good-quality smoked salmon (ideally wild), cut into small pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Green salad, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a low to medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery, stirring occasionally, for about 6-8 minutes until tender. Stir in the fennel and cumin seeds.
- Beat the eggs in a clean bowl and stir in the dill, smoked salmon and a little salt and pepper. Preheat your grill to high.
- Add the egg mixture to the hot pan and stir gently. Reduce the heat to barely simmering and cook gently for 10-15 minutes until the frittata is set and golden brown underneath and the top is just beginning to set.
- Pop the pan under the hot grill for a few minutes until the top is set and golden brown.
- Slide the frittata out of the pan on to a serving plate or board. Set aside to cool slightly for a few minutes. Cut into four wedges and serve with a green salad.
TIP For a veggie version, omit the smoked salmon and cook some diced squash, sweet potato or pumpkin with the onion and carrot. You can also add a handful of frozen peas.
Now buy the book with 15% off
Eat to Sleep: 80 Nourishing Recipes to Help You Sleep Well Every Night by Heather Thomas and Alina Tierney is published by Vermilion, price £12.99. To order a copy for £11.04 until 14 February, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £15.