Luscious dark aubergine is the star of this dish, delivering plenty of fibre and antioxidants to help get your gut into top condition. Some research even suggests that it helps lower blood sugar.
375 calories per serving
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium-large aubergine (around 300g), trimmed and sliced into 6 lengthwise
2 tbsp pine nuts (around 20g)
100g feta, roughly cubed
large pinch crushed dried chilli flakes (optional)
10g fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat a large griddle pan until hot.
2. Mix the cumin and coriander in a small bowl with a good pinch of flaked sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and stir well. Brush the aubergine slices on both sides with the seasoned oil.
3. Place the aubergine slices on the griddle pan and cook, in batches if necessary, for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Then turn and cook on the other side for a further 4-5 minutes, until browned and very tender. (If cooking in batches, keep the first lot warm in the oven while the second batch is cooking.)
4. While the aubergine is cooking, toast the pine nuts in a small dry frying pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring regularly.
5. Divide the aubergine slices between two plates and top with the feta. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and chilli flakes, if using. Scatter over the coriander and drizzle with the remaining oil and the lemon juice. Season with more freshly ground black pepper to serve.
Cook’s tip If you don’t have a griddle pan, use a large nonstick frying pan. The aubergine slices won’t have the griddle stripes but will still taste delicious. You can add a handful of baby spinach or rocket for extra greens, if you like.
Buy the book with a 40 per cent discount
Fast Asleep: How to Get a Really Good Night’s Rest by Michael Mosley is published by Short Books, price £9.99. To order a copy for £5.99 with free p&p until 30 April, go to mailshop.co.uk or call 01603 648155.