Donna Hay’s sneaky bolognese recipe gives the classic dish a secret sauce makeover with the inclusion of courgette and broccoli.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp oregano or marjoram leaves, roughly chopped
500g lean beef, pork or chicken mince
1 small head broccoli (250g), trimmed and
1 small courgette, trimmed and roughly chopped
750ml tomato passata
500ml beef or chicken stock
sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
600g penne (or your favourite pasta)
1. Place the oil in a large, deep-sided nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and oregano or marjoram. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 6 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden.
2. Add the mince and increase heat to high. Cook, breaking up any lumps with the spoon, for 8-10 minutes or until browned all over.
3. Place the broccoli and courgette in a food processor and pulse until super fine. Add to the mince and cook, stirring a little, for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
4. Add the passata, stock, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer (gentle bubbles) for 15-20 minutes or until thick.
5. While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes or until soft. Place a colander in the sink and, wearing oven gloves, pour in the pasta to drain.
6. Divide the hot pasta among bowls and top with the bolognese sauce, plus some finely grated parmesan (if you like).
SAVE 25 PER CENT ON DONNA’S NEW BOOK
Basics to Brilliance Kids by Donna Hay is published by Fourth Estate, price £20. To order a copy for £15 until 1 July, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.