Donna Hay’s parmesan and sage chicken is a roast dinner winner. Serve the chicken and sweet potato with a salad or your favourite steamed green veggies, such as tenderstem broccoli and peas.
1.8kg whole chicken cut into 6 pieces (you can ask a butcher to do this), see note
2 tsp thyme leaves
2 tsp sea salt flakes, plus extra to taste (for the potatoes)
60ml extra virgin olive oil
2 sweet potatoes (750g), peeled and sliced into 1cm rounds
1 tbsp rosemary leaves
6-12 sage leaves
25g finely grated parmesan
1. Place the chicken, thyme, salt and 1 tbsp of the oil in a big bowl and mix, using clean hands, until the chicken is coated. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Line a large roasting pan with nonstick baking paper.
3. Place the sweet potato rounds, rosemary and the remaining oil in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the extra salt and toss to coat, using tongs. Arrange the potato rounds in an even layer and roast for 15 minutes.
4. Wearing oven gloves, remove the pan from the oven. Using tongs, place the chicken pieces on top of the potato, skin side up. Press 1-2 sage leaves on to each chicken piece with the tongs. Sprinkle the parmesan over the chicken pieces. Carefully return the pan to the oven and roast for another 30 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
5. With oven gloves on, remove the pan from the oven.
NOTE You can swap the cut chicken pieces for 6 x 200g chicken thigh cutlets, 8 x 150g chicken drumsticks or 4 x 250g bone-in chicken breasts.
SAVE 25 PER CENT ON DONNA’S NEW BOOK
Basics to Brilliance Kids by Donna Hay is published by Fourth Estate, price £20. To order a copy for £15 until 1 July, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.