The novelty of being able to eat the whole thing is one that makes Donna Hay’s nacho bowls a firm family favourite.
6 x 20cm wholemeal flour tortillas
extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
90g grated cheddar
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
FOR THE NACHO FILLING
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
80g finely grated courgette (about 1 courgette)
140g grated pumpkin or carrot
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
180ml tomato passata
1 x 400g can black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 tsp maple syrup
sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Arrange 4 tall ramekins or ovenproof mugs upside down on a baking tray. Using a pastry brush, brush 4 of the tortillas with oil and place them, oil-side down, over the ramekins. Set aside.
3. Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Brush the remaining 2 tortillas with oil and
place them flat, with the oil-side up, on the prepared tray.
4 Bake all of the tortillas for 8 minutes or until they’re nice and brown. Wearing oven gloves, carefully remove the trays from the oven and allow to cool (the tortillas will turn crispy as they cool).
5 To make the nacho filling, place the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, courgette and pumpkin or carrot and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until the onion is brown and soft.
6. Add the cumin, coriander and paprika and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes (you’ll begin to smell the fragrant spices).
7 Add the tomatoes, passata and beans and cook, stirring, for another 5-6 minutes or until thick. Add the maple syrup, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
8. Take the tortillas from the ramekins and flip them over to make nacho bowls. Spoon the nacho filling into the bowls and top with the cheese and avocado (plus a squeeze of lime, if you like). Break off pieces of your bowl and scoop up the filling. Slice or break the flat tortillas into extra crispy dipping chips.
SAVE 25 PER CENT ON DONNA’S NEW BOOK
Basics to Brilliance Kids by Donna Hay is published by Fourth Estate, price £20. To order a copy for £15 until 1 July, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.