It’s crunch time! Donna Hay’s quick and simple homemade granola recipe is packed with nutritious, delicious ingredients including rolled oats, spelt and coconut. Served with milk, a dollop of yoghurt or fresh fruit, it makes an ideal breakfast or snack for busy families on the go.
MAKES 7½ CUPS
270g rolled oats or rolled spelt flakes
120g sunflower seeds
120g pumpkin seeds
75g shredded coconut
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
160ml maple syrup
130g dried cranberries or sultanas
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 2½. Line 2 baking trays with nonstick baking paper.
2. Place the oats or spelt flakes, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, cinnamon and maple syrup in a big bowl and mix really well to combine, using a spatula.
3. Divide the granola mixture between the prepared trays and spread it out evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Wearing oven gloves, remove the trays from the oven and, using a spatula, carefully give the granola a little stir to help it cook all over. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until crunchy.
5. With oven gloves on, remove the trays from the oven. Sprinkle each tray with the cranberries or sultanas and allow to cool.
6. You can serve the granola in bowls topped with milk, your favourite fresh fruit and some natural yoghurt.
SAVE 25 PER CENT ON DONNA’S NEW BOOK
Basics to Brilliance Kids by Donna Hay is published by Fourth Estate, price £20. To order a copy for £15 until 1 July, visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.