Cakes like this flourless cacao cake give treats a clever superfood boss. Rapadura sugar (also known as panela) is a whole cane sugar made using a process that retains more vitamins and minerals. Find it at health stores and online.
250ml melted coconut oil
100g raw cacao or cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
175g rice malt syrup
6 medium eggs, separated
200g coconut sugar or rapadura sugar (see above)
120g ground almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180C/ gas 4. Line a 22cm round springform tin with nonstick baking paper. Place the coconut oil, cacao and rice malt syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Set aside to cool.
2. Place the egg yolks and half the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 2 3 minutes or until thick and pale. Add the cacao mixture and gently fold to combine. Add the ground almonds and mix to combine.
3. Place the egg whites in a clean bowl of the electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and whisk until thick and glossy.
4. Add the egg white mixture to the cacao mixture and gently fold until combined. Pour into the tin and bake for 25 minutes or until firm at the edges but with a slight wobble in the centre. Allow to cool a little in the tin before refrigerating for 2-3 hours or until chilled.
5. Remove from the tin and place on a cake stand or serving plate. Dust with extra cacao to serve.
Modern Baking by Donna Hay will be published by Fourth Estate on 18 October, price £30. To pre-order a copy for £24 (a 20 per cent discount) until 21 October, visit mailshop.co.uk/books, or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15. Donna’s TV series Basics to Brilliance Kids continues on UKTV until 26 October; to be followed by Basics to Brilliance later in the year. To mark the publication of Modern Baking, she will be in London at the end of October for events at Fortnum & Mason (fortnumandmason.com for details) and The Soho Hotel (firmdale.com for details). And you can catch Donna on BBC Saturday Kitchen on 3 November.