Donna Hay’s chocolate and maple banana cake recipe combines chocolate sponge with thick caramel and a two-ingredient ganache topping.
250g unsalted butter, chopped
335g self-raising flour, sifted
50g cocoa powder, sifted
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, sifted
220g caster sugar, sifted
135g light brown sugar
80ml maple syrup
4 medium eggs
260g mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
150g store-bought thick caramel or dulce de leche
FOR THE QUICK DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
240g sour cream
200g dark chocolate (45-55 per cent), melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line a 24cm round springform tin with nonstick baking paper. Place the butter in a large nonstick frying pan over high heat.
2. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until melted and nutty brown in colour. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, both the sugars, the maple syrup, eggs, banana and milk and whisk until smooth.
3. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the quick dark chocolate ganache, place the sour cream and chocolate in a large bowl and whisk until smooth and combined.
5. Place the cake on a stand or plate and spread with the ganache. Spoon the caramel over the top and swirl gently to serve.
Modern Baking by Donna Hay will be published by Fourth Estate on 18 October, price £30. To pre-order a copy for £24 (a 20 per cent discount) until 21 October, visit mailshop.co.uk/books, or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15. Donna’s TV series Basics to Brilliance Kids continues on UKTV until 26 October; to be followed by Basics to Brilliance later in the year. To mark the publication of Modern Baking, she will be in London at the end of October for events at Fortnum & Mason (fortnumandmason.com for details) and The Soho Hotel (firmdale.com for details). And you can catch Donna on BBC Saturday Kitchen on 3 November.