250g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
250g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
100g cocoa powder
6 large free-range eggs
350g golden caster sugar
100g plain flour
80g ground almonds
100g crunchy peanut butter
100g-150g raspberry and elderflower jam (see recipe here)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line and grease a deep 20cm x 30cm baking pan with baking paper.
- Roughly chop the butter and dark chocolate and melt in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water (ensure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water), stirring occasionally until completely melted. Remove from the heat and whisk through the cocoa powder, then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and creamy. Gently fold through the melted chocolate mix until smooth, then sift in the flour and gently fold through with the ground almonds until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, spreading it to the edges. Spoon in dots of peanut butter and jam, then roughly swirl them into the batter with a spatula. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the top has a slight crust and a gentle wobble in the middle (cooking time may vary according to your oven, so check at 20 minutes and then every 5 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely so it firms up before removing from the pan. Slice into 15 portions.
Now buy the book
Our recipes are from The Modern Preserver’s Kitchen by Kylee Newton, which will be published on 30 September by Quadrille, price £22. To preorder a copy for £18.70 until 3 October, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free UK delivery on orders over £20.