What I like on a Sunday is to have something cooking gently in the oven and smelling wonderful while I get on with other things. This dish is perfect. It needs very little attention and it tastes incredible. If you do have any leftover meat, you can use it to make the Keema Peas recipe in the book.
Prep 15 minutes
Cooking up to 4 hours
639 calories per serving
2kg shoulder of lamb, on the bone
cloves from 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and cut into thin slices
2 large sprigs of rosemary, broken up into spikes
1 onion, finely chopped
3 x 400g cans of flageolet beans, drained
300ml vegetable stock
4 fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
small bunch of parsley, chopped, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Take the shoulder of lamb and cut deep slits at regular intervals all over the skin and any exposed flesh. Stuff the thin slivers of garlic and rosemary spikes into the cuts. Rub the lamb all over with a tablespoon of olive oil, then season it well with salt and pepper.
2. Place the lamb in a large roasting tin and cover it with foil. Put it in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 170C/fan 150C/gas 3-4. Leave the lamb to cook for up to 4 hours, checking after 3 hours – it will be done when the meat is falling off the bone and can easily be pulled apart.
3. Put the lamb on a warmed serving platter and leave it to rest. Drain off any liquid from the roasting tin into a jug and wait for it to settle, then skim off any fat. Transfer the skimmed juices to a small saucepan and heat them through.
4. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook it gently.
until soft and translucent. Add the beans, stock and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer until the tomatoes have broken down and the beans are piping hot.
5. Serve the lamb with the strained pan juices and the beans, garnished with parsley.
SAVE 20 PER CENT ON DAVINA’S NEW BOOK
Davina’s Kitchen Favourites will be published by Seven Dials, price £20. As well as loads of nutrition advice and useful info, chapters include: breakfast and brunch; lunch on the run; family suppers; save time, save money; slow down, and puddings and bakes, plus essential basics and a 5-week plan to help you lose weight. To order a copy for £16 until 4 March, visit you-bookshop.co.uk or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.