These two recipes make perfect partners for a packed lunch. Really sticky chicken drumsticks are notoriously messy, but this version is much easier for lunches on the go and still super yum. There are more than ten ingredients here but there are two recipes, which can be used separately.
Prep 10-15 minutes (plus marinating)
Cooking 40 minutes
274 calories (chicken); 66 calories (coleslaw)
FOR THE CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
zest of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp dried oregano
8 chicken drumsticks (or 12 chicken wings)
FOR THE COLESLAW
½ small green cabbage, very finely shredded
1 courgette, coarsely grated
2 tsp white wine vinegar
6 spring onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp crème fraîche
zest and juice of 1 lime
a few tarragon leaves, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
2. Mix the lemon zest, garlic, chilli powder and oregano in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of olive
oil and season well with salt and pepper. Rub this mixture over the chicken pieces, getting
as much under the skin as possible, then leave them in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour.
3. Roast the chicken in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until it’s crisp and golden brown.
4. To make the coleslaw, put the cabbage and courgette in a colander. Sprinkle over half a teaspoon of salt and the white wine vinegar and toss gently, then leave the vegetables to stand for an hour. This will help get rid of any excess water and stops the coleslaw going soggy.
5. Tip the cabbage and courgette into a bowl and add the spring onions. Whisk the mayonnaise and crème fraîche together with the lime zest and juice, then stir in the tarragon leaves. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix thoroughly.
6. Serve the drumsticks with the coleslaw on the side.
SAVE 20 PER CENT ON DAVINA’S NEW BOOK
Davina’s Kitchen Favourites will be published by Seven Dials, price £20. As well as loads of nutrition advice and useful info, chapters include: breakfast and brunch; lunch on the run; family suppers; save time, save money; slow down, and puddings and bakes, plus essential basics and a
5-week plan to help you lose weight. To order a copy for £16 until 4 March, visit you-bookshop.co.uk or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.