Planning a New Year’s Eve celebration? Whether you’re throwing a full-blown party or seeing in the new year with a select group, you can’t go wrong with a sweet, simple cocktail and a tasty tray of canapés.
Coco fizz is a tropical twist on your classic glass or champagne or prosecco, and only requires a handful of extra ingredients to whip up. Add a paper straw and some edible petals for a fancy finishing flourish.
Thoroughly chill a 750ml bottle of champagne or prosecco and 300ml coconut water (for example Innocent or Rebel Kitchen). Place 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds in a chilled jug or punchbowl and add a dash of grenadine or pomegranate and elder ower cordial (for example Bottle Green). Pour over the coconut water and then the bubbles, and ladle into cocktail glasses. Decorate with edible rose petals if wished.
Serve the coco fizz with a selection of bought savoury biscuits or crackers (black and red ones add drama) or cocktail blinis. Not sure what to dress them up with? Our favourite ideas for toppings include:
- Hummus and strips of roast red peppers.
- Guacamole, cooked and peeled prawns and coriander.
- Egg mayonnaise and slivers of salted anchovy.
- Stilton mashed with sherry or port and nely chopped nuts.
- Chicken liver pâté and finely sliced cocktail gherkins.
- Tzatziki and crabmeat dusted with cayenne pepper.
- Puréed sun-dried tomatoes and burrata.
Recipes by Annie Bell. Food styling by Clare Lewis. Styling by Sue Radcliffe.