This tasty calamarata pasta with roasted red onion and radicchio recipe has less than 475 calories per serving, even with the inclusion of soft goat’s cheese.
472 CALS PER SERVE
4 small red onions (about 400g), quartered but unpeeled
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil
125g red grapes
salt and pepper
320g calamarata pasta (or other similar thick ringed pasta)
60g soft goat’s cheese
small head of radicchio, leaves shredded
2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar of Modena
15g walnuts, toasted
leaves from 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the onions with the 2 tsp olive oil, place on a baking tray and roast for 25-30 minutes. Spread the grapes out on another tray and place in the oven 10 minutes before the onions are cooked.
2. Remove the onions and grapes from the oven, drain and reserve the juice released by the grapes. Leave the onions to cool slightly, then cut off the root ends and remove the skins.
3. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add saltand cook the pasta for 12-14 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving some of the pasta water.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to a large, deep frying pan and toss the onions into the pan, stirring for a few minutes. Add the pasta, goat’s cheese, reserved grape juices and some pasta water and stir until creamy. Season and stir through the radicchio and grapes.
5. Serve in bowls, topped with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, the walnuts and chopped rosemary leaves.
BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
Skinny Pasta by Julia Azzarello is published by Kyle Books, price £14.99. Chapters cover pantry basics, advice on cooking pasta, matching shapes with sauces and kitchen kit. Plus there are 80 flavour-packed recipes (all under 500 cals) for veggie, meat and fish mains; lunches, salads, soups and pasta staples. To order a copy for £11.99 until 24 March visit mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.