Buttery mushrooms, spinach and cannellini beans – this mushrooms and spinach on sourdough toast recipe is a plate of veggie brunch heaven.
TIME TAKEN 45 MINUTES
4 portobello mushrooms
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
60g rosemary butter (see Tip)
50g baby spinach
sea salt and black pepper
2 poached eggs
2 slices of sourdough bread
½ tsp olive oil
25g parmesan cheese, shaved
FOR THE WHITE BEAN PUREE
400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
juice of ½ lemon
1 garlic clove
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/ gas 5. For the white bean purée, put all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. Season with salt then place in a small pan over a low heat for 6-8 minutes until hot, stirring regularly. Set aside.
2. Peel the outer skin from the mushrooms, then gently wash them with cold water to remove any dirt. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Slice the mushrooms and set aside.
3. Heat the rapeseed oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 6-8 minutes, tossing every couple of minutes. Drain off any excess water that the mushrooms release. Add the rosemary butter to the mushrooms and continue to sauté for 2 minutes, then add the baby spinach and allow to wilt for a minute or so. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Poach the eggs and while they are cooking, toast the sourdough slices.
5. To assemble, spread 2 tablespoons of purée over each piece of toast. Spoon the mushrooms and spinach over the top of the toast and purée, then place a poached egg on top.
6. Lightly dress the rocket with the olive oil and place on top of the mushrooms. Sprinkle over the parmesan and serve.
TIP For rosemary butter, melt 60g unsalted butter in a small pan until it has browned slightly and has a nutty aroma then set aside. Add 2 sprigs of rosemary, ½ red chilli, deseeded, and 2 garlic cloves, all finely chopped. Place the butter back on the stove and cook for 3 minutes to release the flavours. Pour the butter into a sealable container and store in the fridge. It will keep for up to 2 months.
Now buy the book with £5 off
Brunch the Sunday Way by Alan Turner and Terence Williamson is published by Frances Lincoln, price £14.99. To order a copy for £9.99 until 26 July go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUBRUNCH at the checkout. Book number: 9780711248595. For terms and conditions, see whsmith.co.uk/terms.