This chilli avocado on sourdough recipe is served with lemony rocket and seeded crackers – fresh, healthy and delicious.
TIME 1 HOUR 45 MINUTES
2 ripe avocados, halved, stoned and peeled
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
juice of ½ lemon
2 slices sourdough bread
sea salt and black pepper
FOR THE SEEDED CRACKERS
30g pumpkin seeds
30g sunflower seeds
35g golden linseeds
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp sumac
1 tsp mustard seeds
35g white sesame seeds
35g black sesame seeds
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
175ml warm water
1. Place all the cracker ingredients in a small bowl, add the warm water, mix well and set aside for 45 minutes, mixing every 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a baking tray measuring approximately 30cm x 25cm with parchment.
3. Spread the seed mix thinly and evenly across the surface of the prepared tray. Bake the crackers for 40-50 minutes until crisp and golden brown on both sides. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray before breaking into bite-sized crackers, or the size of your choice. The crackers can be stored in an airtight container for up to ten days.
4. To assemble, slice the avocado halves thinly. Gently apply pressure on top of each of the avocado halves using the palm of your hand – this will spread out the avocado so that you have overlapping slices. Season with salt and pepper and a sprinkle of chilli flakes, then drizzle with olive oil.
5. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil and use it to dress the rocket.
6. Toast the sourdough, then place a slice on each plate. Place half an avocado on to each slice of toast and serve with the rocket and crackers.
Now buy the book with £5 off
Brunch the Sunday Way by Alan Turner and Terence Williamson is published by Frances Lincoln, price £14.99. To order a copy for £9.99 until 26 July go to whsmith.co.uk and enter the code YOUBRUNCH at the checkout. Book number: 9780711248595. For terms and conditions, see whsmith.co.uk/terms.