Fragrant lime leaves and lemongrass bring a new spin to broccoli soup.
500g broccoli (florets and stalks)
2 1⁄2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
15g fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
2 lemongrass stalks, ends trimmed and finely sliced
4 fresh lime leaves, stalks removed and leaves finely sliced
1 tsp ground coriander
500ml fresh chicken stock (or vegetable stock if vegan)
400ml can coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp maple syrup, plus an extra 1 tsp for the broccoli garnish
1 tbsp fish sauce (use vegan fish sauce or soy sauce if vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Set aside 100g of the broccoli florets, then roughly chop the remaining broccoli florets and stalk into smallish pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and sweat for another 5 minutes, then add the lemongrass, lime leaves and ground coriander and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped broccoli and cook for another couple of minutes, then add the stock and all but 2 tbsp of the coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until the broccoli is just tender. Cool for a couple of minutes, then tip into a large blender with the lime juice, maple syrup and fish sauce. Whiz until smooth and adjust the seasoning, adding more lime juice, maple syrup or fish sauce to taste.
- Cut the set-aside broccoli into small florets and toss with the remaining 1⁄2 tbsp oil, 1 tsp maple syrup and a pinch of flaky sea salt. Spread over a roasting tray and roast for 8-10 minutes, stirring halfway, until golden.
- Reheat the soup if necessary and divide between bowls. Swirl in the reserved coconut milk and scatter with the broccoli florets. Serve immediately.
Food styling: Kitty Coles. Food styling assistant: Care Cole. Prop styling: Louie Waller