This vegan lemon drizzle loaf cake perfect balance of sugary sweet with tangy lemon. Make sure to drizzle the sauce all over the cake and not just the middle.
200g self-raising flour
75g ground almonds
200g golden caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
125ml light olive oil
175ml unsweetened plant-based milk
FOR THE DRIZZLE
100g demerara sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4. Tip the self-raising flour, ground almonds, golden caster sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Mix well with a fork.
2. Zest 2 lemons into a separate bowl, then cut them in half and squeeze the juice until you have 50ml (use the third lemon if necessary), catching any pips in your other hand. Add the juice to the bowl along with the olive oil and plant-based milk and stir everything together.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold everything together until well mixed.
4. Spoon the cake batter into a 1.3kg loaf tin lined with parchment and greased with a little oil. Put the tin in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until a skewer inserted at the middle comes out clean.
5. While the cake is cooking,, make the drizzle. Zest the lemon into a mixing bowl. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze in the juice, catching any pips. Tip the demerara sugar into the bowl and stir it around with a fork until the sugar dissolves.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and poke holes in the top with a skewer or cocktail stick. Pour the lemon and sugar mixture over the top of the loaf cake, ensuring an even coverage all the way to the sides. Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into slices and serve.
BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
Bish Bash Bosh! by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby is published by HQ, price £20. To order a copy for £16 until 21 April go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.