Spread this vegan foie grois on sourdough toast and serve with cornichons for the perfect starter or canapé with drinks.
MAKES 4 RAMEKINS OR SMALL JARS
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 sprigs fresh thyme
7 sage leaves
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 banana shallot
pinch of salt
2 garlic cloves
18 button mushrooms
2 tbsp cognac
400g cooked lentils (home-made or from a packet)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 or 1 very small cooked beetroot (about 30g)
100g dairy-free butter
a few peppercorns, to garnish
good-quality toasted sourdough bread or baguette (or crackers), to serve
cornichons, to serve (optional)
1. Remove the leaves from the herbs by running your thumb and forefinger from the top to the base of the stems (the leaves should come away easily). Reserve a few leaves and sprigs for garnish and finely chop the rest.
2. Pour the oil into a frying pan over a medium heat. Peel and roughly chop the shallot and add it to the pan. Add a pinch of salt and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
3. Peel and roughly chop the garlic and add to the pan. Cook for a further 3 minutes. Chop the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes until everything is well softened. Add the finely chopped herbs and the cognac.
4. Transfer the contents of the pan to a food processor. Chop the walnuts and add them to the processor with the cooked lentils, soy sauce and beetroot. Blitz until almost smooth. Transfer the mixture to the ramekins (or small sterilised jars, if using) and smooth the tops with the back of a spoon.
5. Place a small saucepan over a low heat. Add the dairy-free butter and melt without heating it too much as it can split. Pour it over the paté to completely cover. Place a few herb leaves, sprigs and peppercorns on top and leave to cool. Cover the ramekins with clingfilm (or seal the jars) and refrigerate to chill.
6. Serve with the toasted bread or crackers and cornichons, if using. Keeps for up to a week in the fridge if made in small sterilised jars.
BUY THE BOOK WITH 20% OFF
Bish Bash Bosh! by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby is published by HQ, price £20. To order a copy for £16 until 21 April go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 0844 571 0640; p&p is free on orders over £15.