The secret ingredient to this gluten-free lemon drizzle cake is ground almonds, which make this lovely and moist. It’s also packed with lemon thanks to the drizzle and the icing.
TAKES 1 hour 15 minutes
175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
175g caster sugar
Grated zest of 2 lemons
3 medium eggs
100g gluten-free self-raising flour
75g ground almonds
FOR THE DRIZZLE
100g caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon and juice of 2 (juice the ones you zested for the cake)
FOR THE ICING
120g icing sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon and juice of 2
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly grease a 900g loaf tin and line with nonstick baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together your softened butter and sugar until light and pale (I use an electric hand whisk or a stand mixer for this). Add the lemon zest and beat once more until light and fluffy. Crack in the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between until well combined. Sift in your flour and fold it in, then fold in your ground almonds.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until golden. If it’s browning too much on top, cover with foil (shiny side up) for the final 5-10 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the drizzle. Grab a small mixing bowl, add the caster sugar, lemon zest and juice, and mix until well combined.
- Remove your cake from the oven. Check that it’s cooked by sticking a skewer into the centre – if it comes out clean, then it’s done.
- Use a skewer to poke lots of holes all over the top of the cake, while it’s still hot. Then gradually pour over all of the drizzle. Allow to cool briefly in the tin then carefully lift on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing, grab a medium bowl and add your icing sugar and lemon juice. Mix until it reaches a smooth, slightly thick yet still pourable consistency. Once the cake has fully cooled, drizzle the icing all over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
Buy Becky’s book!
Our recipes are from How to Make Anything Gluten Free by Becky Excell, which is published by Quadrille, price £20. To order a copy for £17.60 until 14 February, go to mailshop.co.uk/books or call 020 3308 9193. Free p&p on orders over £15.