I love this pizza, with slices of tomato rather than a sauce. Scamorza is perfectly gooey on top but, being a dry cheese, there is no risk of it oozing liquid.
400g ready-rolled pizza dough (such as Pizza Express)
2-3 beef tomatoes (around 250g each), cores cut out and thinly sliced
150g scamorza, cut into 1cm dice
1 level tbsp small oregano or marjoram leaves
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 9 and place a baking sheet inside the oven.
- Unroll the dough, leaving it on the paper, then slip this on to the hot baking sheet. (If using a ball of dough, roll it out thinly into a rectangle, flouring the work surface if necessary, then place it on a sheet of baking paper.)
- Arrange the tomatoes over the dough without overlapping them, leaving a border of about 1cm, then season with salt.
- Scatter over the cheese and herbs, drizzle over the oil then bake for 20 minutes until the edges are golden and crisp. The hot base will help to colour the dough underneath.
- Serve straight away but it’s also delicious when cold.
TIP My preferred pizza dough is the ready-rolled rectangular Pizza Express (available at Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury’s) that can be baked on the paper and slipped off once it is cooked. This adds zero washing up into the bargain!